The PDP-8 Factorial Challenge
Using the PDP-8 Emulator, and using only the tools that a PDP-8 programmer would have used in the late 1960s, write a program that calculates and prints one hundred factorial. (100!).
- An iPad (hopefully modern)
- A keyboard that works with the iPad, bluetooth or otherwise.
- Codea, the Lua interpreter you can get from the App store.
(Not in order)
- Read the Emulator documentation carefully, and follow the instructions.
- Get the emulator running.
- Watch the videos showing how to edit and compile.
- Read the manuals describing the PDP-8, the Symbolic Editor, and the PAL III assembler.
- Write a few sample programs to get your feet wet. e.g. Print the decimal value of the switch register.
- Design and write the program to calculate and print 100!
- Extra challenge: prompt for X and print X!.
Do not rush.
Update - Sep 3, 2021
Unclebob introduces the Clean Coders team to the challenge. We recorded the meeting: https://youtu.be/S1dchvHKMV8